Membership benefits include:
- Discounted fees for the four annual educational courses
- Cheaper pricing for resource products
- Subscription to The Beveled Edge Newsletter
Plus, members will be able to add their contact information in our searchable online membership directory, accessed by patients, members and others seeking referrals for their patients within specific geographic areas.
Benefits of ASMS Membership
There are a variety of benefits to your American Society for Mohs Surgery membership. In addition to discounted fees for our four annual education courses, cheaper pricing for resource products, and a subscription to our newsletter, as an organization, we advocate on behalf of our members and for the advancement of dermatology. These are some of the actions we take:
- Advocate for maintenance of appropriate coding and reimbursement for dermatology and Mohs surgery. Actively participate on committees, task forces, and Mohs Coalition with other dermatology society representatives to stay abreast of changes, and to best represent member interests. Respond to individual member inquiries on a regular basis.
- Advocate for fairness in Mohs credentialing. Regularly monitor and respond to member reports of situations involving credentialing discrimination.
- Advocate for fair trade practices among Mohs surgeons. Regularly review competitive advertising (individual websites, print ads and membership publications) and confront offending parties.
- Advocate for maintenance of rigorous surgical training in dermatology residency core curriculum. Monitor all proposed DRC program changes and campaign for the preservation of comprehensive training in all surgical techniques and related procedures.
- Advocate for member awareness regarding procedural dermatology fellowships and their potential for creating a divide between surgical and general dermatologists. This includes discussion of possible implications of a formal certification process, and concern that fellowships may be viewed as the only legitimate pathway to the performance of select procedures.
- Offer “Fellow” membership category to recognize those physicians with appropriate background, training, and experience in Mohs surgery. Patients frequently inquire about our different membership category designations, and Fellow membership requirements are explained in some detail.
- Showcase strengths of individual members through invitations to participate in AAD Intersociety Liaison Committee educational sessions and member forums at our own scientific meetings.
- Continually reinforce unity in dermatology and inter-society cooperation through inclusion of influential AAD, AADA, ASDS, and ACMS members in ASMS scientific programs.
- Sponsor of annual Fundamentals of Mohs Surgery course, providing basic training for member and non-member physicians and technicians for more than a decade.
- Sponsor of annual Clinical Symposium, Dermatologic Surgery: Focus on Skin Cancer, providing important dermatology surgical updates for physicians and Mohs technicians for more than a decade.
- Sponsor of Clinical Observational Preceptorship program as an adjunct to Fundamentals course training. Consistently demonstrate society’s dedication to education by the number of members who regularly dedicate their time to this activity.
- Sponsor of annual Peer Review program, established for purposes of member education, maintenance of high quality Mohs standards, and assistance with CLIA compliance.
- Provide frequent patient referrals to members via member listing on ASMS website, including links to their practice websites.
- Provide frequent patient referrals and basic patient education via ASMS toll-free number, direct email inquiries, website information, and other communication with executive office.
- Provide members with patient and medical community educational resources on Mohs surgery, such as patient information brochures, patient-oriented videos, lecture slide sets, etc.
- Provide members with formal and informal network of Mohs professionals (Board members, committee members and scientific meeting faculty) to contact with technical questions, political concerns, discussion of various challenges to practices and the specialty of dermatology, etc.
- Provide members and their staffs with referrals to outside companies offering related products and services, such as laboratory equipment, in-office training and consultation, practice management tools, insurance billing information, etc.
Read what our patients are saying!
I have been a member of the ASMS for over 15 years. It is the most collegial of all my professional memberships and provides me with excellent clinical and practical medical information that helps me provide my skin cancer patients with the best possible care with regards to Mohs surgery and skin cancer management. I cannot express enough gratitude for all of the benefits that the ASMS has given me. The staff of ASMS are incredible in their helpfulness to the physician members of the ASMS!
Click here to read more reviews.